Sunday 29 July 2018

Friends Indeed








Dog and Cat, hanging out together in the hot sunshine after a quick ride in the washing machine. But not just any old cat and dog.
Cat has been with Granddaughter E for at least five and a half years. They were inseparable for a long time and shared many adventures. He accompanied her in sickness and in health and was quite often in the washing machine as a result. He went to Nursery with E three days a week and did everything she did. He actually had a secret twin because E could not/would not sleep without him and his loss would have been a catastrophe. (No pun intended.)

Dog has not been part of  E's family for quite as long, but both he and Cat have slept with her for more than four years. I was entrusted with Dog at E's first public performance last December; the school Nativity play, where she was an excellent camel. Dog sat on my lap and was held up to applaud like mad. If I had been the only Granny doing this sort of thing I would have felt a bit foolish, but the school hall had many such stuffed things, waving and clapping.

A few months later and my son and daughter-in-law are having a maxi clear-out. During the process they left a couple of bags full of things for charity here. I went through them, as one does, and to my concern found Cat and Dog.
I am not sentimental, of course I'm not, but I was quite unable to leave them in the bag. So they went into the washing machine, out on the line and then will be tucked away in the top of my wardrobe. If E ever wants them back they will be here for her.

Of course I am not sentimental. The Teddy bears in the top of my wardrobe are actually investments, as are the beautifully embroidered silk dresses I wore as a baby.  There are the two tiny Babygos that my infant sons wore for their homecoming - they are of historic significance now.The little glass boxes of baby hair are for my sons, so that they can see their silky blond and auburn curls (so long departed). One of these days I expect they'll be really interested to see those! But I won't mention the baby teeth because even I think that's going too far. (Why on earth have I kept them, but how can I get rid of them now?). There's my wedding bouquet preserved to a variety of shades of beige. Perhaps E would like it for her dressing up box? Perhaps?
There is one special Teddy bear who was blue and is now mostly grey, and is female and full of sadness and is at least 78 years old. She is not an investment.  I told her all my secrets. She is irreplaceable. Just like Cat and Dog.

Anyone who has read The_Velveteen_Rabbit will know exactly what I mean.

17 comments:

  1. Of course you couldn't give them away. Sacrilege.
    It was Pink Puppy in my case. I am told he was VERY pink when he first came home with me. I too couldn't/wouldn't sleep without him. The nurses in hospital sterilised (after I vomited on him) and gave him a quick dry and he turned a creamy colour. And became even softer and more cuddly. And lives with me still. He is/was an excellent keeper of secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E.C: I hope you've read 'The Velveteen Rabbit'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hard to give away these childhood friends - even though they're not actually MY childhood friends. I have to say though that one of the younger members of the family has most heartlessly discarded her formerly beloved monkey complete with his sweet little spectacles. "Throw him away" she said before running off to do something else. (I suppose 4 is just too young for nostalgia.... )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sentiment. You are the holder of memories. Treasurer of their embodied wishes and fears.

    Some of my early stuffed animals became the scapegoats, taking away the bad memories. Sponged them up and were discarded, but that too is a purpose.

    A tooth could be planted in a new tree, and guarded.

    A number of women coming through for surgery have brought a child’s stuffed friend, at the child’s insistence. They apologize, but I take on that friend as seriously as the child. All stuffed friends get a bandage similar to the patient they accompany.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Of course you're not sentimental because, if you are, then so am I! My big, and now blind, teddy bear sits at one end of the couch. He has been my most constant companion since I was one year old. He remembers me as a small child better than I remember myself. So glad you rescued Cat and Dog from the giveaway bag. There may come a day when they will comfort little grand daughter again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny: Oh what a tough little cookie in your family. Perhaps she thinks that someone else will rescue the monkey......but have they? A monkey in spectacles....I'm sure someone has done.

    Zhoen: Plant the teeth (there are a few baby incisors) - now that's an idea! There's a story about things growing from dragons' teeth isn't there?
    That's such lovely treatment for the stuffed friends.

    Molly: It's interesting that these stuffed friends of ours have gender identities. I'm so glad to know that visual impairment has not affected your friend's memory, and may actually have sharpened it, and I'm also you're not sentimental either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bouncer, who features on the front page of my old blog, has been with me for 65 years today and still sits, waiting for conversation, on my bedroom chest of drawers. The felt lining to his ears are shredded, and one eye is higher than the other but I really couldn't part with him even if he is faded and his fur is getting thin.
    I was never able to discard Daughter's friends either, but she's weeded them out over the years. Granddaughter keeps a keen-eyed tally of hers, dispose of them at your peril!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dragon teeth.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_teeth_(mythology)

    ReplyDelete
  9. of course they had to be rescued. They'll be wanted again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jee: I find it interesting that my sons and grandson have/had no interest in soft toys. Not quite true as sons used various soft toys with a parachute and were interested in which would drop further from the attic window. Very manly, I'm sure.

    Zhoen: That's the one!

    gz: In the meantime they're tucked in there with the investment old teddies (and a Furbie who disconcertingly yawns sometimes. I can't reject him either when he talks and sings and burps for E. when she visits.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you are keeping these "oldies" tip top. Now if there was a way for an old coot like me to refurbish again I'd be all set. Great blog & nice post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be a humble investor. Don't get a "big head" if it appears that you may come out ahead. The market is constantly changing so even when it appears that you are on an upswing, you could take a tumble. satta king

    ReplyDelete
  13. Facebook is an important social medium that can reach many networks of potential customers, and by encouraging people to "friend" your business or offering hints or discounts on your page, you can reach fans that otherwise may not know your business exists.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  14. so a manual breast inspection is in order if you want thorough results. A skilled mammogram technician should also be skilled at giving a manual exam and also skilled in showing you how to give yourself a breast exam.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  15. For instance, do you need to hold up a specific timeframe before returning into the room? To what extent do you need to hold up before returning the furnishings? On the off chance that you don't comprehend what you have to do, you could end up demolishing your rug.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is imperative to vacuum your floor covering cautiously at any rate once every week and cleanser your rug or utilize a steam cleaner once per month to dispose of scents.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete