Friday 4 February 2022

Long-Buried Treasure.






I have not been idle during  the long, Covid-laden break from blogging, and neither has Jenny Woolf whose posting today on her lovely blog has inspired me to reveal some of my own recent preoccupations and diversions.

For me, the paper-sorting seems endless. My husband died many years ago, and still I have boxes of his writing, collections of relevant cuttings, letters, souvenirs, photographs and other relics of a life lived with books and documents. Then, just when I thought I had seen almost all of his archive, a bundle of records of family life appeared from within a fat folder of theological papers: home-made cards, petitions, letters of thanks and requests, postcards and drawings by our sons from the age when they could first clutch a crayon. I must have seen most of them at some time, but I didn't know that he had kept them.

This is something I wrote and that he pinched and hid among the theology, probably thinking that I wouldn't bother to keep it among the confused welter that was my desk in those days of family chaos. This special bit of paper brought sunshine into my day this morning.

 I recorded verbatim a bit of a Sunday morning in church with sons aged three and six. I never knew that he thought it was worth keeping. I hope we managed to have a laugh about it at the time.

In church.

*=repeated at least three times in crescendo.

E: (aged 3) There's Mrs. Evans. *Hello, Mrs.Evans.

H: (aged 6) Why doesn't Mr. Evans come to church?

Mother: (age not specified) I'll tell you later.

H: Why?

Mother: Because it's a long story.

H: Why?

M: Shhh.

E: Why? What you talking about? Eh? What you and you talking about?

Both parents: Shhhhh!

Both boys read books. E comments loudly throughout.

E:* Let's sing now!

M: Shhhhh. No! Not yet.

E: Yes! Let's have a sing now!. (Sings loudly.)

Both parents, unison: Shhhhhh.

People in pews behind and in front; "Shhhhhh!

H: Mummy. Mummy. I have to know something.

M: Just wait a bit. Please!

H: Just tell me if there are people buried under this floor.

E: Eh? What? Where people under the floor?

H: And I need to know why aren't there any gravy-stones outside this church?

M: Shhhh, just wait until we get outside.

H: It's important. It's in my head and I'm thinking about it now.

M: Probably because it hasn't been consecrated as burial ground. Wait and ask Father A. afterwards.

E:* What? What you talking about? What under the floor?

H: Well, where do people get buried then?

M: Ask Father A. afterwards. Try to listen now.

E slides to floor: What under floor? Nothing under floor?

H: slides to floor: Let's looks for gravy-stones, E!

Both parents, unison: GET UP!

Boys restored to pew after relevant scuffling, threats and protests.

H: Why doesn't Mr. Evans have to come to church?

E:* What?

15 comments:

  1. Priceless!
    Well worth keeping

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite gem which has brightened my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gz and E.C: thank you both very much for your kind comments, especially in the light of my long absence from blogging. After the initial shock of Covid my life has settled into a largely solitary pattern of home and garden, with little blog material apart from commenting on the grass and weeds developing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Why didn't Mr Evans go to church?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite line, "I never knew that he thought it was worth keeping."

    We never really know who we are to others, how treasured, how important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jee: It's a long story. I'll tell you when I see you.

    Zhoen: Thank you for a wise comment that I will try to keep in mind. Some of us are too quick to devalue ourselves........know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. RR,
    I know what you mean. And I know how much it means to be listened to, and even more so to be quoted. It matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wonderful! I am not at all surprised he kept it. But also it is a nice feeling of connection to imagine him smiling as he read it, thinking of you and the boys, and deciding to keep it Please keep blogging. You have a very interesting approach to life, and you write interesting letters to me, so I do feel that if you can do that, then you can probably continue to write interesting blog posts too! Still, it will be good to be able to go out a bit more and do more, and that will definitely make things easier.

    I am convinced that lockdown was essential when we were unvaccinated and facing a deeply unpleasant and possibly fatal illness. But for the triple vaccinated, I wonder if the balance could be changing. Even before I caught it, I wondered if it might become less of a disaster than before (Despite the fact, I hastily add, that there are also good reasons NOT to catch it, at least at the moment!) Specifically, it does seem as if "herd immunity" might perhaps be within glimpsing distance...goodness me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny: thank you for your comment and encouragement. I am always writing something, but never know if I'll post anything on the blog. Then, one day something seems right, so I do!

    I think Covid will be with us for a very long time, and until the world population is immune or immunised it will go on mutating. Viruses can be much more clever than people - that's not such a difficult concept, and I hope I'm being cynical.

    ReplyDelete

  10. I love that your husband kept that piece. It's hilarious. And it's so easy to forget those moments when children are all grown up. I'm sure your grandchildren will get a big kick out of hearing this about their oh-so grown up and well behaved fathers!
    And it's so true about covid dampening blogs. I'm trying not to give up entirely though I sometimes think clutching at straws.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At last I can relax and enjoy things without the pressure of the last couple of months, and this was a delight, a wonderful reintroduction to what makes life joyful. Thank you, RR :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly: Your words came true last weekend when two grandchildren read this post and literally fell about laughing at the words and behaviour of their 'Baby Dad'. Third grandchild is not quite ready for reading just yet but will be visiting soon, so we'll give it a go!
    Many thanks for your encouragement.


    And for yours too, P.Pete. I'm sure there's lots of joyfulness to come after the last weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do keep on blogging. You are very wise and comforting.

    Hilarious conversation. But I feel we deserve to know why Mr Evans didn't go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam: too long a story for this little comment box - and thank you for your kind message!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to share my life story so that someone else can heal from my wound,I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. and Hiv, My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came across Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receive my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following diseases..Copd,Herpes,Alzheimer's disease,carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's ,Epilepsy,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Coeliac disease,Infertility, Asthma.Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com..Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete