Wednesday 25 July 2018

Oh Dear, has it Really Been Six Months?







..........and here we are in the garden again, in the heatwave, on the crunchy, crispy grass. Not the best day for Granddaughter to want to be carried like a back-pack (or a front-pack) while Little Brother requests the same treatment from his father, but another happy garden day all the same.

I do not intend to have these big breaks from blogging, but I find that my life seems settled into a succession of mostly enjoyable and always interesting routines. During my years of supporting elderly parents I loathed routine. Really loathed it.
 I struggled against being trapped in my father's requests to be taken shopping on certain days at certain times, his insistence on completing The Times crossword before he could leave the house, his addiction to certain radio programmes and, worst of all. his desire to come to us every Sunday for a full roast lunch with gravy. The gravy really got me down. After his death I promised myself I would never have to cook gravy again, and I didn't do so for several years.

Now, in my mostly solitary life I wake with the dawn and watch the sunrise from my bed. A few weeks ago I was also able to listen to the dawn chorus, but now the birds are fairly quiet. They have done their duties, mating, nesting, rearing young and now they are keeping out of sight while they moult. Very like me, actually, but I'm not about to grow new plumage.
Eventually I come downstairs and have a very simple breakfast with three big mugs of tea. Nothing tastes quite as good as the first mug of tea in the morning. I have the same bitter marmalade, the same number of bits of toast every day. Even before I am dressed I have slipped into the most comfortable rut.

And guess what? I love it. Ruts are very good places to be.
I climb out quite often, and other people climb in with me, but I realise every day the huge joy of contentment.
I am limited now in what I can do, in where I can go, and even more so in what I want to do and where I want to go. I am fortunate in that I've done and seen quite a lot during my 78 years. I have a great library of memories of all sorts, good and bad, funny and not-so-funny, acutely embarrassing and actually very affirming. Oh yes, all sorts, so I can sit in my rut and enjoy them all. There are things I'd like to put right, harsh comments I wish I hadn't made, and there's a certain level of regret.
 I wish I'd been more kind.

A great friend telephoned from Paris yesterday evening. He has lost his sight, almost completely. This is someone who has spent his life reading, studying, but now he can distinguish light from darkness and that is almost it. Then he surprised me by saying he can still go and do the shopping locally. He takes his white stick and goes on to the Paris Metro. He said, "When I was fully-sighted I had never realised how kind people can be. I have never been without help from strangers."

If I could leave one simple message for my grandchildren to remember it would be just that.

Be kind.

Sorry, Papa, if I had a tantrum about gravy in 25 degrees of heat.


14 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, if only occasionally.
    We love sleeping with the curtains and windows open when possible..listening to the changing dawn chorus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you pop up in my reader.
    The purportedly Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times' has always filled me with horror. My rut is safe and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gz: thank you. Dawn, sunrise, birdsong - the very best time of the day, especially at the moment, and not so many people experience these joys.

    EC: Thank you, too. I never intend these absences. Ruts are delightful places to be. Literally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never liked sameness or routines, but in the past two years l have found comfort in them also.

    ReplyDelete

  5. So lovely to see you back. I'm in a bit of a six month rut myself, but to everything there is a season. Everyday blogging was then, occasional blogging is now. Pity about the plumage, though you strike me as one whose plumage is as graceful in its older years as it was when you were young.
    Someone famous (I can't at this minute remember who ) said there are three rules in life:
    # 1 - be kind; # 2 - be kind; and # 3- see I & 2, or words to that effect. I don't always succeed but it's worth aiming for...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time acceleration keeps increasing, so routine helps keep some order, I find.

    Agreed about kindness. It’s not hard, why does it seem so hard?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting Over, Molly and Zhoen: many thanks for your kindness in commenting. It's good to see you all again.

    ReplyDelete

  8. This resonates with me. My particular daily rut is proving very useful and comforting, leaving me free to focus on other things. I'm thankful for it. And you can never have too much kindness (the right sort that is).

    Good to see you again, RR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mm: don't forget my rut is just down the line from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back. I missed this when it appeared as I haven't been blogging much lately myself. I think kindness is probably the virtue I like the best. I sort of agree about routine, but to be honest I think my routines are much nicer than other peoples' - so don't beat yourself up TOO much about the gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny: Thank you - I make sure that I have very pleasant routines these days. I'm even prepared to make gravy on a few occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love my rut too.

    Re your comment - what a pity - I'd have loved to meet up for a chat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam: You were very close. I'm just over the hill from Ledbury. I'm glad you found the area interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somebody with training and a permit will know precisely how to handle the activity the first run through. Somebody who doesn't comprehend your floor covering or your concern should rehash the activity again and again. Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete