Friday 8 August 2014

Gratitude






I've had a few days away, very unexpectedly, here.
The ambulance, summoned by a wonderful neighbour, arrived almost before the phone call ended.
Two paramedics treated me with immense care and kindness, checked me in all sorts of ways, and then carefully trundled me into the Accident and Emergency Department.
I was whisked along on a comfortable trolley, pushed to the head of the queue (sorry, other patients), checked and tested and rechecked and finally admitted to the Surgical Clinical Decisions Unit.

I wanted to take the bed home. It was one of those wonderfully adjustable jobs with a great mattress. If you've got to be stuck in a bed, those are the beds to be in.
The care in Worcester Royal Hospital was of the highest order. The cleanliness and hygiene likewise. The food, when I was finally allowed to sample it, was unrecognisable from the bought-in mush that I remembered from some years back. Now it is freshly cooked with a good choice at each meal.

I admit that I was dreading being admitted here. The place was full of bad memories from the time my husband was so very ill. The time when I visited daily to try and get some nourishment into him because the staff were too busy to feed individuals.
I don't need feeding, or much other care, but now I am also elderly and potentially confused at times.
I was treated with complete respect, and without the faintest hint of age-discrimination. I saw others, more confused, treated likewise, especially in the nights and early mornings by a young male nurse.

So...my very grateful thanks to Worcester Royal Hospital; to a nurse who is not afraid to hug when needed, to surgical staff who shake hands and listen, and to the many staff who keep the place spotless and the patients well fed.

Sorry if I've been somewhat dismissive in the past.

10 comments:

  1. So glad that your impressions of the hospital were so positive bus sorry that you needed to discover that it was a different place to the one you imagined. Hope that you will be better soon and sending my best wishes and prayers for your speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you had this little jaunt away - and thrilled that you received prompt and efficient care - in the very best sense of the word.
    I hope your recovery goes apace now you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marigold and EC: thank you for your good wishes. I'm happy to be home again, but I would be even more happy to have stolen that bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness. Sorry you had to be hauled off to the hospital, but I'm glad you were so well cared for and got to rest in that lovely bed. However comfortable, I hope you don't have to repeat the experience anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, RR. I'm glad that you are now home again, and glad also that the care you received was of such good quality. As well as the bed!

    Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like a good bed. Glad you got one, and all that the term 'bed' means in a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslee, mm and Zhoen: thank you for your comments. I'm pretty happy with my own bed again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you've been ill. Very cheering to hear how well you were treated as we hear horror stories over here about the UK health system (they're probably exaggerated in order to deflect attention and criticism from our own!) Glad you're home safe and on the mend. Sending you a hug across the water.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you had such a good experience. I have an idea that hospital food is improving - and so it should. Have you filled in feedback on the hospital website? I think they like to get it

    ReplyDelete