Friday 27 March 2020

Staying as Positive as Possible..






Unfortunately I've had the official document informing me I'm in the top risk category for being very ill indeed if I contact the corona virus. I thought I'd escaped that level and although being self-isolated I have been enjoying daily walks in the sunshine, Now I can't leave home for twelve weeks at least.
So I think 'thank goodness for my garden'. I can go out there to exercise, to read, to sit and make phone calls, to pull up weeds, to sit and stare into space, to listen to the birds. Thank goodness for a safe isolated space.

Thank goodness for the technology that enables me to be in contact with my family. Yesterday we managed a three-way Skype between Austria, Bristol and here, so that we could all see children and adults and hills and mountains and Austrian goats and a naked three year old Grandson leaping about in his paddling pool. (Yes, it's been as warm as that in England.)
My Grand-daughter and I can set each other daily challenges and tasks, and I can read stories to the
three year-old when he is not in his pool. (He won't be after today. The weather is about to change).
My new Grandson will probably be crawling before we meet, and this is a considerable sadness. But I must not let it be that. All that matters, for all of us, is that we can stay safe in the hope that we will meet again eventually.
Thank goodness for my friends and neighbours who so kindly think of me and offer so much support with shopping. Community, friends, neighbourhoods are the building blocks of life. I realise it more every day.
I realise I appreciate everything more. There's so much more time to think. My natural inclination has always been to work from silence, and now I have an abundance of it. I turn back to writing - not that I've ever turned away from it, but the silence feeds creativity.

So my garden sits here, in today's sunshine. Always I find something to do. I go out there with a cup of coffee, notice a weed and before I know it an hour has passed enjoyably and beneficially. If it's raining there's the summerhouse with comfortable chairs and still more reading material. In the house there's  a modicum of housework, both by inclination and because there's only me in it. There's cooking which I normally enjoy, and must try to do so. There's music, there's excellent service by BBC radio. Oh, yes, there's television too.

In addition to this I have offered to return to do support work for the local Hospice. I retired from there last summer, but I want to do whatever I can from home by telephone to help again. They are struggling and the struggle will get worse.

Coping with such severe restriction is a challenge, but so is the whole of life for almost all of us in these unexpected and frightening times.
I am following the rather daunting NHS document fully, including the instruction to pack a hospital bag and have it ready to go. This form of isolation is the most positive thing I can do, not for self-preservation as is so often thought, but to prevent an eighty-year old from needing equipment that a much younger person might need.

The motto throughout the country is to stay at home, support the National Health Service, save a life.
We must all do it.
And stay positive.

11 comments:

  1. It's not easy when you feel OK is it? Rather like being imprisoned when you have committed no crime. However those of us with gardens must be truly grateful to have some outdoor space to be able to get into. I love the idea of a summer house with comfy chairs and books. We have a bench in our garden which is lovely when the sun shines - I had coffee out there this morning with the birds singing in the adjoining wood and the remaining daffodils dancing in the breeze. Yes keep positive it's all we can do isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marigold: so many people are commenting on the increased amount of bird-song this year. I'm sure it's the fact that it can be heard without the constant background noise of traffic. I hope you'll enjoy your coffee in the same place tomorrow, but it may be a lot cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for gardens, for books, for birdsongs, and for safe places.
    I find technology a mixed blessing a lot of the time, but am so very grateful for the communication it allows us. Communication which was absent for our parents, let alone our grandparents.
    Stay well, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. I can deal wit the idea my own illness, but not having to make Dylan take care of me or to spread it to anyone else. So, I do all the stuff to not to get it at all. And I know the job ahead of me is going to take a lot out of me, but it's not as bad as for ICU staff, and it must be done well. So.

    I figure we are allowed to whine a bit on our blogs, then go out and do the right things. Even if that is staying close and pulling weeds. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E.C.:technology, yes, indeed. Those parents who saw their sons and daughters off to war, their small children off as evacuees to no one knew where......and some were never to be seen again.
    Unimaginable pain.
    We can but hope the world will be a better, kinder place for those of us who get through this time.

    Zhoen: stay safe in your new, daunting task. Stay safe for loved ones and unknown ones, and for yourself and the cats too!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you have a good, safe place to wait it out. I hope you're right about the world being a better, kinder place afterwards — and I hope that's not just for other humans, but for the other lives as well.
    Stay safe, RR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.Pete: my place is good but nowhere is safe. When humans are restrained or isolated indeed I hope that the world will become a better place for all the other lives that have been damaged by human activity (not to mention greed and exploitation).
    Stay as safe as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazingly upbeat - so impressive! We're able to go out for walks, which helps a lot. Also there are two of us. I so admire your positive attitude. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy your pretty garden. It’s lovely to be able to go out in nature under our present circumstances. My house in Nashville is in town with a very small backyard and nothing in it but grass. Sorry, I should have said weeds; but there are some pretty flowers coming up from the weeds, though. I had 3 trees planted last week so my gardening chores will be to water them as our weather is getting warm already, 84 F tomorrow (28.8 C.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam: thank you for your positive comment. Not always upbeat, of course. It's very tough being alone, unable to go for a walk - but what's the alternative? We all have to hang on to the belief that life will change again, and in the meantime to appreciate all that we have now.

    Vagabonde: thank you so much for commenting, and for introducing me to your very interesting blog. We probably don't know the full horror story of Fox News here in UK. It is such a frightening situation for America. My very best wishes to your son-in-law, to all of your family - and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had been isolating since March 10th, The Letter came on Saturday, there had been a text last Tuesday, these seem to arrive daily. The online form has been filled in, I’m so fortunate to have DH who is isolating with me, he does go out to tend the front garden which I may not do. There are frequent deliveries, Ian doesn’t let me touch these until the packaging has been removed, all fruit, vegetables, milk bottles are washed before I touch them.

    I have plenty of crochet and knitting to complete, books to read, our lovely cleaner cannot visit so housework can be exercise, I’m a bit reclusive and introvert anyway, staying in is not new for me, it is done in cold and wet of winter.

    ReplyDelete